Safety is a core value at DJJ
The primary goal of our safety process is to maintain a safe and healthful workplace, free of injuries and illnesses. DJJ achieved its lowest principal incident rates ever in 2016, and had the lowest rates when compared to industry peers against which we benchmark. Although we are proud of these results, our key focus is to continue to improve by actively engaging every teammate in our safety process.
Our safety and health process is organized into 10 “Safety Building Blocks” as follows:
Developing Policies and Procedures to ensure full compliance with applicable laws and regulations, as well as to address potential hazards specific to our work processes.
- Orienting and Mentoring New Teammates ensures they understand our safety culture and have the knowledge needed to safely perform their jobs.
- Ongoing Training and Education for teammates to understand safe work principles and apply the knowledge to their job responsibilities.
- Audits, Inspections, Hazard Recognition and Control are cornerstones to actively identify and correct hazards, proactively reducing risks throughout our operations
- Properly Maintaining Tools and Equipment to safely complete many of the jobs in our operations.
- Eye on Safety is DJJ’s tool to promote safe work practices by improving teammate behaviors on the job. This involves consistent observation, coaching, and feedback to reinforce expectations.
- Active Teammate Participation is paramount to the success of our safety process and all teammates are expected to contribute to improve the safety process in their work areas
- Safety Leadership at all levels of the organization inspiring teammates to work safely.
- We are committed to protecting all customers, contractors and visitors while in our facilities.
- Promptly and thoroughly investigating every Incident and near miss to determine its cause(s) and implement corrective actions to prevent a reoccurrence.
Safety doesn’t stop at our gates and we embrace our safety philosophy while conducting business on our Nation’s roads as well in our teammate’s personal lives. DJJ strongly discourages texting while driving and asks everyone to join our campaign against what has become a dangerous trend. Please do your part and “Forget the Phone” while driving.
“Forget the Phone” video (English)
“Forget the Phone” video (Spanish)